What’s a simple, yet effective, way to highlight the key accomplishments of a business? And wrap it up into an easy-to-read, easy-to-distribute document? Creating a media kit, that’s what!
Once upon a time, media kits were reserved for magazines, but today they serve as a way for any business to show off their accomplishments and accolades to help them land speaking engagements, appearances and more.
A media kit basically does the talking for you. It let’s potential clients, interviewers or speaking outlets know what you bring to the table. With a professional media kit, any business or entrepreneur can show off their skills and greatest achievements with ease!
- Step 1: Craft a Magnetic + Polished Professional Bio
When selling your products, services, and expertise to others, there is nothing more important than having a magnetic and polished professional biography. This is the first impression many people will have of you, so it must be honest and accurate. A professional bio should include some specific things that if you fail to include, will render it ineffective.
- Exercise: Draft a short, swipeable (and easy-to-understand) professional bio.
- Exercise: Draft a longer bio using the formulas below. Add more information to your short bio to create a more compelling story. These longer bios can be used by podcasters and other media personnel.
- Step 2: Provide a Scintillating Snapshot of Your Products and Services
In this stage in your media kit, you will want to begin showcasing what you can offer to your audience. This takes a specific strategy in order to properly target your ideal client base. Use this opportunity to elaborate on your services and how your programs can benefit your audience.
- Exercise: List ALL your current services + products in bullet-point format. Don’t forget to include content you provide, too, including the names of your book(s) & podcast(s).
- Step 3: Gather and Flaunt Your Showstopping Stats
While media kits showcase many aspects of your brand, they also help your audience soak up important data. Media kits allow you a means to show your audience why you are the person they need, whether it be for an interview, a project, or a collaboration. This is the time to build credibility and trustworthiness with your audience, focusing on your credentials and statistics. When honing in on this aspect of your media kit, there are some questions you will want to ask yourself.
- Exercise: Gather the statistics you want to flaunt in your media kit … or ask your VA to help.
- Step 4: Showcase Social Proof and Media Mentions
Your media kit shows that your business is one worth writing about, and establishing credibility is key for your success. In effect, you’re proving your worth, and media mentions demonstrate your growing clout in the industry. Here are some of the elements you’ll want to include in your Rockstar Media Kit.
- Exercise: Create a list of all your previous podcast interviews, guest blog posts, print features, summits, TV shows, radio, and even the stages you’ve spoken on.
- Exercise: Create a “Media Bank” board in Trello or in a spreadsheet where you include the media’s name, logo, publication date and link for each mention. Follow the samples below.
- Exercise: Reach out to past clients for updated testimonials. Choose 2-3 of your tastiest testimonials to include in your kit.
- Step 5: Add in High-Quality Images
Putting together your Rockstar Media Kit isn’t just about facts and text. Graphical elements are a cornerstone of any successful media kit, and it’s an area where you’ll want to rely on expert help. Here are a few tips for making the most of your images.
- Exercise: Upload the following assets to a filesharing service like Dropbox and then link to them within your media kit.
- Step 6: Create a Killer Call to Action
Although creating a Rockstar Media Kit involves quite a few steps, it’s important to remember the ultimate goal: To gain attention and land new clients. Although each element is important, they all need to work toward the goal of getting potential clients to make contact or a purchase. Your call to action, in particular, is the means through which you convert interest into action.
- Exercise: Write out some simple CTAs.
- Step 7: Get Creative! Design Your Kit With Canva
A powerful media kit is much more than just typing your information onto a page. It requires the use of creative design elements that are visually appealing to your audience. Take your text and other elements and transform them into a customized media kit that fits your unique brand.
- Exercise: Schedule time to familiarize yourself with Canva. Customize a pre-made template & then save it as a PDF. Customize it so it matches your brand colors, fonts, logo, etc.
- Exercise:If you decide to outsource this task, research possible contractors and interview them.
- Step 8: Set Up a Simple System to Keep Your Kit Fresh
You have just finished your media kit and you may think that your work is done. However, you would be wrong. Media kits take time and energy to complete, but they also require a commitment to keep them updated. As your brand grows and evolves, so should your media kit. This way, your media kit is properly representing you and your brand at all times.
- Exercise: Create a recurring monthly task for your VA to track your numbers + stats on every platform you’re active on and enter them into a spreadsheet for easy access.
- Exercise: Update your media kit template in Canva at least once a quarter.
Note: This is not a course. This is a Planner!